TANSMISSION DOWNSHIFTS

1998 Ford Contour • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 89,584 miles

1998 ford contour 2.0 automatic trans what will cause the transmission to jest down shift every now and again at speeds over 35 mph could 1 of the sensors cause it or is it more than that it has 88584 miles
Brandyman044

I had that problem on my Contour about 2 years back, took it to get fixed and was told it was the transmission range sensor. Whenever I got on the freeway I would speed up and at random times the car would slow to about 40 mph despite flooring the accelerator.

Dsmddn11
It could be the range sensor. Also, have the computer scanned to see if there are any trouble codes. It could deal with several different things.

Transmission starts to slip in grear and start to not want to shift when goining up a hill starts off fine

Carl williams
It sounds like there is an issue with the clutch plates if it is slipping in gear. It could be trans pressure too. You should have the pressure checked.