FORD CONTOUR ENGINE PROBLEM

1998 Ford Contour • 79,000 miles

I have a 98 ford contour that had the timing belt broken while running. Just had the timing belt replaced at a shop and it will not run right, they said there is prob a bent valve but this is a non-interference motor so that prob not right. Is there anything I can try to get it right? Is it possibly not timed right? It has a bad studder and loss of power especially up hill. To me it feel as if the timing is not right, but I am not a mechanic. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Please list the engine size when asking an engine-related question. The V-6 uses a timing chain so I'm guessing you have the four-cylinder. That is indeed an interference engine and it is highly unlikely the valves weren't damaged. A compression test will prove it and a cylinder leakage test will show which valves are bent.

I just had my timing belt break on me twice(in 3 days) last month and it could be that the timing is off or that the tensioner wasn't adjusted right. Most likely the timing though. And you are correct, the engine(zetec) on a four cylinder Ford Contour is non-interference. Get this fixed quickly because you don't want the belt snapping again.

Dsmddn11