CAR WONT IDLE

1998 Eagle Talon • 4 cylinder AWD Manual • 209,000 miles

My 1998 ealge tsi will start but will not idle. I have to keep my foot on the gas when I stop and have to give it gas to keep running when I start it. It blows white smoke when you shift also. Let m know what you think.
PV2Pinard1991

Sounds like the battery might have been disconnected or run dead recently. If so, the Engine Computer lost its memory and has to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when it must be in control of idle speed. It also might not give you the normal "idle flare-up" to 1500 rpm when you start the engine. To meet the conditions for the relearn to take place, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals.

Ok will try that, I had been parked for about 3 months and the battery was dead when I got it.I replaced the battery and have order new plugs and wires. Thanks for the help.

PV2Pinard1991