98DODGE NO SPARK

1998 Dodge Stratus • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic •

I am working on a 98 dodge stratus 2.5v6 and there is no spark. I think it has a electronic distributor, I had the cap off and replaced the rotor. Can I get a diagram, also where is the ignition coil located. What should I try first in troubleshooting?
J.stieg

Measure the voltage on the dark green / orange wire to the distributor or any injector during cranking. If you find 0 volts, suspect the camshaft position sensor in the distributor or the crankshaft position sensor.

The ignition coil is inside the distributor.

I measured the voltage at the dark green/orange wire at both the injector and the distributor and it was 12v during cranking. What should I check now? Thanks

J.stieg
That means the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor are working. That leaves the ignition coil inside the distributor or the Engine Computer is not firing the coil. If you have access to a scanner that can fire the coil, that will tell whether or not it is capable of developing a spark. Otherwise I would lean more toward the distributor since the computers don't really cause a lot of trouble.

I get linking error on scanner. Can I do a resistance check on coil primary and secondary, also can I check computer signal to coil with my meter? A wiring diagram of these circuits would be great. I am going to check and make sure the rotor spins too, thanks!

J.stieg
There's an electronic trigger circuit embedded inside the distributor so there's no way to measure the coil. The coil is not available separately either. The only way to replace it is to replace the distributor.

Can you get me a wiring diagram for the distributor on a 98 dodge stratus 2.5l engine. I want to check in-coming wires before replacing the distributor. Thanks!

J.stieg
The only circuit that could have a problem is the black / gray wire. All the rest have to be working for there to be 12 volts on the dark green / orange wire. That voltage comes from the automatic shutdown (ASD) relay when the cam and crank sensors are working. You would need an oscilloscope to view the signal on that wire to see if the Engine Computer is trying to fire the coil.

I don't have a oscilliscope but could really use one. I have analog meter, a 12v LED light, and a clamp around induction strobe timing light. Can I check pulse on that black/gray wire with any of these? Thanks

J.stieg
Measuring the black/gray wire with a volt meter, It seems that it is always grounded. Is this normal?

J.stieg
Don't know. I never measured it so I don't know what to expect. If the computer sends a very short 12 volt pulse to tell the distributor when to fire, then the average voltage would be very low, probably too low to see with an analog meter. If something is shorted in the distributor, that could short out the pulse coming from the computer so there would be nothing to see with a scope. I never did any of that testing. I just replaced the distributor and sent the owner on his way.