LOSS OF BATTERY POWER

1998 Dodge Intrepid • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 190,000 miles

When my 1998 dodge intrepid sits for more than a day the battery dies and requires a jump to start. I had the battery replaced and still have the problem. If the car is used at least twice a day there is no problem. Mechanics say the alternator is fine. The key is difficult to pull out of the ignition most of the time and the gear shift has to be played with to get the key out. Is the problem with the shift and /or the ignition.
Kmsteff@yahoo.com

First I would start with checking/testing of the charging system.

Ensure the battery is being fully charged by the alternator.

If charging system is good, proceed with checking for parasitic drains.
Somethng could be remaining turned on and the most common causes are stuck relays, keeping some component running without the ignition. Note if any component is not turning off, eg fans, illumintion lights etc.

Use an ammeter to check the drain when ignition is turned off. Anything less than 0.005 amp acceptable whereas a higher draw means something is wrong.

As to getting the ignition key out, symptoms indicates a likely fault with the shift interlock cable adjustment.

Is your vehicle column or floor shift?