DODGE DURANGO RADIO PROBLEM

1998 Dodge Durango • 120,000 miles

I have a 98 dodge Durango with a 5.2l engine its the SLT edition. I had bought wit an issue with the stock stereo and speaker system, the radio was messed up because the knob control to adjust the speakers from left to right and front and rear was jacked up, I was getting sound thru the rear speakers but they were some cheap aftermarkets im assuming the previous owner installed but one was blown and the other would cut in and out depending on bumps and what not on the road, so I replaced the speakers with a decent aftermarket set but the stereo would not play any sound thru them, I know enough that I had connections right and everything, so I changed the stereo with an aftermarket cd player seeing how the stock didn't work anyways and with the knob issue I figured that was a possible reason for the sound not to come out. I bought the proper wiring connector kit for the vehicle, connected everything properly but still no sound. The vehicle has the infinity sound system installed in it and I've heard that the stock amp could be the issue, I have looked into forums and troubleshooting guides and what not and read up that it could be the amp isn't recognizing the aftermarket stereo and won't turn on and if you run the remote wire from the stereo to the remote on the stock amp remote and power wires it should solve the issue, tried that, and still no sound, so I went ahead and just ran each speaker straight to the stereo wires and bypassed the amp completely and now I have sound but I afraid I am either getting too much power or not enough to the speakers to get the full potential out of them and risk blowing them and I know my aftermarket stereo is not the greatest either so I don't want to mess that up as well. I even went as far as to removing the stock amp but im not sure how to test and see if its burnt up or has any damage to wiring which there was no obvious signs of that. I've actually heard there is a wiring connector kit that has to run from the stereo connections from the dash to the stock amp and that fixes the problem because I guess dodge's have been known to have issues with this but I also hear the kit is very expensive and money is an issue so if there is any cheap and easy fixes for this I would like to know.
thank you,
cody davies
Codyd113

No idea what issue you're referring to. Chrysler systems are real reliable, and if you have an original radio built by Mitsubishi, you have a real high-quality system. Chrysler amps do not increase power or volume. Any Chrysler radio will run speakers directly or any radio can work with their amps. All the amps do is modify the tone response to the shape of the vehicle. GM and Ford do that with different radio models, and with theirs you have to match the radio to an amp when it is needed.

When there is an amp in the vehicle or little amps bolted to the speakers, those are turned on through the "Amp" / "Power antenna" wire in the connector for the radio. Any aftermarket radio will have that same wire. The problem is original Infinity radios put out very little bass. It is made up in the amps. If you run an aftermarket one-size-fits-all radio through the amp, you'll have too much bass and it will not sound good. If you're using the line outputs from an aftermarket radio, you won't have any sound. Remember that Chrysler amps don't increase volume. You need to use the radio's regular speaker wires.