1/4" HARD PLASTIC HOSE CAME OFF

1998 Dodge Durango • 208,000 miles

I have 98 Dodge Durango 5.2L. A 1/4" hard plastic hose/tube came unhooked from the engine somewhere and fell on the exhaust pipe burning it in half. I t appears the hose connected to something on the passenger side of the engine. The other end goes into a "box" underneath about halfway down on the driver's side. Another hose comes out of this box and into a larger unit further back underneath the vehicle. What is this hose called and what does it do? I don't even know for sure where it is supposed to hook up on the engine. I want to buy a new hose and hook it up but do not know how to proceed.
Hambone8

Can you post a photo of the hose and that box?

Adding pics. Couldn't get a good distance shot of the "box". Thanks for your interest and help!

Hambone8
I'm not sure what I'm looking at in the middle picture. Is that the valve cover? If it is, that would appear to be a PCV hose to funnel vapors to be burned.

That hose might also be going to the air filter box. That is to clean the air that is being drawn in through that hose.

First look on the emissions sticker under the hood to see if they show that hose. If they do, it will label the components it's connected to. You can also visit a pick-your-own-parts salvage yard and look at a similar vehicle with the same size engine, and see where that hose goes. You can even pop it off and buy it, but it would be nice to know what it's for.

The dealer will have a diagram on their computers in the parts department that will show where it connects and what it's called. If it's a common failure item, they'll likely have a replacement in stock.

When there's no hose clamp on it, you can be pretty sure it's emissions-related. It will not be part of the cooling system, air conditioning system, power steering, or things like that. There may be engine performance problems but it's not likely to cause serious damage before it's replaced.

Thanks. The 2 pics of the box are where the hoses connect to this box. It is rectangular box underneath the vehicle in the middle on driver's side. It is not the valve cover. The middle pic shows where the hose that melted is connected to the box. I think it is the middle one. The bottom one comes out and goes to bigger box further to the rear. I was guessing some emission thing too. The bigger box in back was pretty big. It was hard to get pics lying under the vehicle in the driveway. Sorry about that. I appreciate your timely and thorough resposne. I may do the comparison idea you had. I drove the vehicle today for the first time in several months (had to get a new battery first) and I really didn't notice any issues. I drove about 20 miles in town. Again, thanks for your help and suggestions.

Hambone8