AC 98 MODEL

1998 Chrysler Cirrus • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 157,741 miles

I have a chrysler stratus 98 model, a mechanic told me that I need to always put on the AC to protect the Cooling fan to roll and save the car from overheating so as not to cause any damage to the engine of the car, I don`t know how true it is since I don`t like putting on the AC all the time bcos it consume fuel.
Mufteeh

The radiator fan should come on w/o the AC condenser fan on-Maybe he told you that bcuz w/o the AC fan on -the radiator fan doesn't come on-check and test the fan relay and coolant temperature sensor-

Do you have overheat problem without turning on air? If not, then I see no need to turn on air. Fan should come on automatically when car reaches near overtemp.

Fixitmr
The car will run a little hotter in slow traffic situations when the A/C is off but it was designed to operate that way and is nothing to worry about. No, you do not have to keep the A/C on.

Wrenchtech
If its getting hotter than normal past 220 degs-fire up the heater this will lower it down but its gonna be uncomfortable

Here are the actual temps that the fan is designed to come on. Anything inside the 230 mark is acceptable temperature although low speed fan kicks on at 220.

Wrenchtech
I suffered overheating when I started the car without putting on the AC after moving for 30mins, but it was OK dis morng bcos I put on the AC, everythin was cool. Pls do I nd to separate the cooling Fan.

Mufteeh