CAN I CHANGE THE ENGINE CONTROL COMPUTER MYSELF OR DO I HAVE TO GO TO A DEALERSHIP?

1998 Chevrolet Venture • 160,500 miles

How change the engine control computer on my 1998 chevy venture?
C_catron

The computer has to be programed by the dealer unless you get one already programed. Whats wrong with your old computer?

It just seems like sometimes it gets good gas milage thenit dont. Sometimes it seems like the engine I running rough. Now my air bag light is on. I cant seem to fix the problem with the temperature gauge reading like its getting hot. The fans dont come on unless I turn the a/c on and back of then they cool it down and the fans will shut off on there own, but once they shut off they wont come back on unless I turn the a/c on and back off.

C_catron
For the fans I would check the coolant temp sensor to start with before replacing the ecm. The air bag light is a different computer then the ecm. Have you even checked for codes yet?

Also a bad coolant temp sensor can make it run rough and effect gas mileage.

I have changed the coolant temperature sensor twice and the thermostat once. I had autozone hook it to there code reader yesturday and it didnt show anything.

C_catron
What color were the wires going to the coolant temp sensor you replaced?

I will have to look. I dont remember the colors, but I do know that it had three wires.

C_catron
I see only two wires in the wire diagram a black wire and yellow wire.

The plug has three wires and the coolant temperature sensor has three prongs.

C_catron
Your going to have to get a scan tool that can read live data so you can see what the sensor is reading back to the computer. There like 54 on amazon try this unplug the coolant temp sensor with it running see if the cooling fan comes on.