CHEVY HEADACHE

1998 Chevrolet Truck • V8 2WD Manual •

Ok so I have a 1998 chevy 2500 5 speed with a a brand new v8 that was just put in, and we have no fire. We have replaced the distributor, spark plugs, we were told it was the ignition coil we put a brand new one on and still no fire the exahust is not on the truck so I know its not plugged, it tries to run on starter fluid, however we can smell fuel and we are getting fuel so we belive the fuel pump is working and it was working before the truck broke down, we also checked some spark sensor thats behind the timing chain cover, we need some help is there anything you think it could be we are open to suggestions

thanks
clinton
Bcpowder465

Your engine needs four things to start/run: 1) spark
2) fuel
3) compression
4) control system (computer/sensors)

Now, you said there's "no fire". I'm assuming you mean there's no spark? But you go on to say it tries to run on starter fluid. But if this is so, then you do have spark because the starter fluid still needs to be ignited just like gasoline.

You should have the computer scanned to see if there's any codes. Also, use a spark checker to confirm there's spark at all cylinders and that the ignition timing is set properly (coils and wires routed correctly). Then (since you've said there's fuel pressure), make sure the injectors are firing and that they are actually spraying fuel (maybe a blockage). If you in fact do have both spark and fuel, then check cylinder compression (valve timing/timing chain). And finally, check that the computer is sending the right signals to both the ignition and fuel system. (That the plugs and injectors are firing when they're supposed to)

Ernest Clark