CHEVROLET MALIBU STARTER PROBLEM

1998 Chevrolet Malibu • 230,000 miles

So for the past week the car has been starting hard and yesterday it would not start at all. I got nothing when I turned the key, but the lights all work and electric windows worked. I bought a battery thinking it was that, but no. I have been told altnerator, but no the battery symbol in the dash is not on. I have been told fuel filter.
what should I check next? Could it be the altenator or fuel filter.

If no crank, In the diagram check the fuse, Also use voltage tester, make sure voltage on the fuse circuit. Another possibility is the tranny range sensor. You could jump the starter solenoid, just to see if starter will crank. If you try that make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set. Block the wheels. If you suspect the starter itself, some of the national brand autostores will test the starter for you, if you take it off and take it to them.

You need to be sure the battery has a full charge.