WHILE WAITING IN TRAFFIC THE CAR STALLED (NORMAL) BUT WHEN RESTARTED POWER STEERING DID NOT WORK.

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier • 22,500 miles

Checked fluid level (ok). 2.4L Z24
Headscratcher

Make sure belt is ok and tight. If it has fluid you'll have to have the pump checked for pressure

2.4L engine. Does not have belt.

Headscratcher
Funy our manual says it does, it; s on the back side of engine passenger side. It should have a belt otherwise you are going to overheat.

This is a 2.4L z24 and the pump operates off drivers side of engine with hex shaft into overhead cam. There is no belt. Serpentine belt on Pass side is fine and operates alt/ac/tensioner. I have ordered new pump so will go from here. New pump has no pulley. I have never seen this before but what can I say. See enclosed pic.

Headscratcher
You never said it was a z24 you shold really have the pressure checked before ordering a new pump, it may not be the problem.

It will cost me 85.00 for a mechanic to bring it in and pressure test it. I found a reman. For half that so financially its a better move to replace. I got nothing to lose and my sons car has 225,000 miles so that pump must be tired.

Headscratcher