CHEVROLET CAMARO GAS PROBLEM

1998 Chevrolet Camaro • 100,000 miles

My son has a 1998 camero 3.8 the serpentine belt broke and took out one of the plastic elbows going into the engine, I fixed that checked for leaks and ther was anti frezze coming from the egr tube connected to the exhaust manifold if appears the gasket is deteriated is this normal for anti freeze to be leaking there or is there another problem, he drove the car about 2 miles after the belt broke

Rhoadeta

These engines were very bad about burning out the intake gasket around the egr valve, this would cause leaks into the egr system and sometimes if really bad would leak into the crankcase. They were also bad about corroding the intake away on these ports. I have replaced several intake maifolds because of this problem. The only way you will know for sure is to pull the intake manifold, be careful as the valve covers and push rods will also have to be removed, The push rods on this engine are different lengths. This is not a job for a novice to take on. Thanks for using 2CarPros

Mekanic4755
Hi thank you taking the time to answer my question on the weekend. I will donate when I get paid. So I pulled the dipstick and it was whitish colored abvious water in the oil. He over heated the car driving it home like a dum ass. Do you think its the intake or a gead gasket his buddy is telling him to get another engine. Thank you again

Rhoadeta
I would put an intake gasket on it first, the engine will have to be flushed to get all water out of crankcase before, it is restarted, hopefully you got to it before it damaged the engine. Honestly the only way you will know if it has blown the headgaskets is to replace the intake gasket first. With it leaking their is no way to pressurize the engine. As I said before, the intake leaking can also leak water into the crank case and cause the same type of problem as a blown head gasket. Glad I could help, I know how kids are I have 4 of my own. Good luck, if I can help give me a shout. Thanks for using 2CarPros

Mekanic4755
Thank you. I will follow your advice you guys are always right it seems. I really do appreciate it Mekanic4755

Rhoadeta
Thank you, Glad I could help, and thanks for using2CarPros

Mekanic4755
Hi one more time lol. I forgot to say after I finished installing the elbow I added anti-freeze I topped of the radiator and left the cap off thinking it might go down a little but when I started it anti-freeze gushed out of the radiator. I turned the car off put the cap on and started it again. Thats when I noticede anti-freeze coming out of the egr tube at the manifold. My friend say that the gushing anti- freeze is a sign of a blown head gasket. Do you agree? I value your opinion. He says I should look for another motor that the head could be cracked or its a blown head gasket. I told him I did not inform you of the rediator gushing over. Do you still think I should try and change the manifold gasket? One more thing the check engine light was on but not now I drove the car about 2000 feet no light on. Would not a blown head gasket send a code. Thanks You. Tim Andrews

Rhoadeta
Yes this is usually an indication of a blown head gasket, how ever I have had several of these cars because of the water leak in the egr, blow exhaust gasses back up and into the cooling system, and out the radiator. I would put an intake gasket on it first to see. Thats a lot cheaper than an engine, and the gasket may very well fix the problem. I can't say for sure, all I can tell you the intake gasket has repaired and saved a lot of engines. Honestly you won't know for sure till you try it, but like I said, I would rather error on the cheaper side than replace an engine that was not that bad. Thanks for keeping us abreast of your situation, and thank you for using2CarPros

Mekanic4755
Thank you once again. I will give it a shot it might take a couple of days before I get to it but I will let you know. I just wish the engine was not stuffed under the dash lol. It does not run like a blown head gasket by the way so maybe the intake gasket will fix it. Have a great night. Tim Andrews

Rhoadeta
Good luck, if I can help give me a shout. Thanks for using2CarPros

Mekanic4755
Hello I finally had time to work on the camero. !998 3.8 V6 What a pain in the butt. The upper Manifold came off easy after all the stuff was out of the way lol. Ok I just pulled the upper off its plain to see its been off before by the swirls mad from the air tool with the abrasive wheel. The bolts where not that tight one towards the back was barely tighy. No gasket sealent was used. Toward the front front in the area the egr tube goes into the manifold the gasket was wet about a 4 square inch area right at the front on the drivers side. Is this a indication the gasket was leaking? Should I still remove the lower manifold. They are not the plastic ones they are both aluminum. Where you talking about a head gasket in the previous post. I did not have to remove any push rods or valve cover as of yet lol. The lower intake looks like it will come off without removing the valve covers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. He just bought the car had it a couple days before the serpintine belt broke, I think it was leaking before he bought it, I was not there I don't think he even pulled the dip stick out. Thanks Tim Andrews

Rhoadeta
Page 1 of 2