I POURED POWER STEERING FLUID IN THE TRANSMISSION FLUID OPENING????

1998 Buick Lesabre • 15,000 miles

I know I will have to get the transmission fluid changed, but will I ruin my transmission by driving it to the repair shop?
Susan Hatfield

You have an options here-Tow it or take a chance-How much fluid did you put in-

The whole bottle of Power Steering Fluid. I know this sounds stupid, but it was 6: 00 am and dark outside. I was at the gas station getting a cup of coffee, half awake. Just not use to doing this stuff.

Susan Hatfield
They're both hydraulic oil, just with different additives, and transmission fluid is dyed red to help identify what's leaking. For many years it was common to put transmission fluid in the power steering. I don't know that I'd panic, but if it makes you feel better, or if someone else tells you differently, have the fluid flushed, but at your convenience, not as an emergency repair.

Thank you Caradiodoc. I will have the transmission fluid flushed this afternoon just to be safe.
This whole thing started when my power steering started to squeal, probably a hose. I have an appointment today to try and find that leak or whatever. Then of course, half asleep I poured the power steering fluid into the transmission and I got anxious.
All of my life, I have been lucky to have a mechanic to turn to. Now they have all very old or have passed away. That's why I am grateful for this service.

Susan Hatfield