I DROVE THROUGH WATER AND GOT IT INTO MY INTAKE AND MY CAR DIED. GOT IT STARTED AND IT RAN LIKE NOTHING HAPPEND. THEN ABOUT A WEEK LATER, I STARTED MA

1998 Acura CL • 80,000 miles

I drove through water and got it into my intake and my car died. Got it started and it ran like nothing happend. Then about a week later, I started making this ticking noise. And it kept getting louder then it just died. Wouldnt start for about 10 minutes. Got it started but it wouldnt keep an idle. Kept dying unless I help rpm's up. So I drove it home. Now when I go to turn key to start it, its just a thunk noise. Whats wrong?
Acuracl2324

The engine could be hydrolocking-check all the cylinders for coolant-start here

Im not a motor guy. How do I do that without pulling off the head?

Acuracl2324
Remove the all the sparkplugs and look for water/coolant in the cylinders

Oh alright sounds easy enough. Thanks. Ill let you know tomorrrow how it went. If all goes well, get new plugs and should it run like it did before all the trouble?

Acuracl2324
Dunno yet till you check it-could be something else-let me know

Spark plugs were completely dry. And I wasnt able to even see into the cylinder to see if theres anything.

Acuracl2324
See if you can turn the crankshaft pulley 2 revolution

Well we just decided we are gonna put a new motor in the car. What is the easiest way to swap it? Pull it out from above? Or go from underneath? Trying to avoid pulling the tranny. We dont wanna have to deal with shift linkage problems. Everyone tells me that is there biggest problem.

Acuracl2324
Never done it with an Acura-My way is pull the engine from above

Which engine do you have?

I don't see any problem with the shift linkages as they are fit and clipped on.

I would normally drop the whole engine and transmission assy. Taking out trans does not required enginto ne removed but taking the engine out without removing the transmission would be a biger headache and you would most probably damage the transmission shift cable if the transmission is not supported well.

Page 1 of 2