ENGINE LIGHT ON WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?

1997 Toyota Corolla • 160,000 miles

My 1997 Toyota Corolla began running on only 3 cylinders suddenly. Was running fine, tuned off the engine. When I started up again it is missing. Engine light on. What could be the problem?

The car was running fine when I went to the store. Upon starting it at the store, it was running rough and the check engine light came on. Seems like it is running on less the the 4 cylinders it should be running on. Should I just junk it? I cant afford a large repair bill.
Tom28000

I'd go over to auto store to get codes read and see what it says. Could be spark plug SP wire or coil or something else simple. I take it you dont mess with this stuff at all?

Fixitmr
Good idea. I will contact Auto Zone and see if they can read the check engine light code.
No, I dont mess with stuff like this. This car is just my "run about" because it gets 31 MPG !

Tom28000
Good cars actually. I would own it if more people would part with them willingly and cheaply.

Fixitmr