TOYOTA CAMRY COOLANT PROBLEM

1997 Toyota Camry • 370 miles

Hi, I am in Australia, hv a camry sxv20r, 97 2.2 4cyl. My problem is the top radiator hose gets rock hard with engine running. Have changed thermostat, radiator, water pump. Engine did heat up initially, not now. Its very difficult to run engine from cold without rad cap to remove air as it pushes out water after 4 minutes. Why is this happening and how to overcome it. Both hoses do get hot after warm up. Only top gets hard. How long b4 fan kicks in for this car, cause it has not even after thermostat opens and closes. I hv not done a road test yet. All this is only at idle. Hope u can enligthen me on this problem that I am facing. Thanking u in advance! . RSEGAR
Rsegar

If you remove the radiator cap, coolant would be pushed out. Doing that repeatedly would also cause air to be drawn in system and you should refrain from doing this.

Try replacing the radiator cap.

Tq for your reply. I took ur advice and ran engine with cap on and checked coolant level after shut down[cool], and topped up coolant. Happy to say all was back to normal. Temp norm, fan comes on. Now to road test. Will keep u posted. Tq, again.

Rsegar
Air in system might take a while to be purged so you need to be checking the coolant level a few more times when it is cold to be sure that there are no more air pockets in system.

Hi KHLow2008., Am glad to say that car is running fine now. Just got back from a weekend out wit kids, 410kms in total! Coolant temp behaved. Tq for ur assistance again! Segar.

Rsegar
Glad to know problem has been rectified.

Have a great day.