CAR IS OVERHEATING AND I HAVE REPLACED SEVERAL PARTS

1997 Toyota Camry • 240,000 miles

My car is overheating and I have replaced several parts to fix the problem. I went to a car shop the other day and I was advised that the floor on my

passenger side was damp and that means it is the heater core. Does the heater core cause the car to overheat? I have replaced the thermostat, water pump, valve cover and several other parts. My check engine light has started to flash so I know that something is seriously wrong.

I read that my catalytic converter could be over-heating. Does this sound correct and what do these two parts (heater-core and catalytic converter)do to help the vehicle function properly? Thanks.
Laugborne

You need a scan to retrieve the trouble code for the MIL indicating to understand what is causing it.

A leaking heater core would cause coolant to be depleted and this would result in overheating.

Ok thank you. When all codes were given I replaced the parts that were registering, EGR valve and temperature coolant sensor, but no codes were given for the heater core.

Laugborne
Heater core would not give you any codes. You need to check the coolant level in radiator to see if it is low. Do this only when engine is cold as system is pressurised when hot.