TOYOTA AVALON TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

1997 Toyota Avalon • 188,000 miles

Last night my daughter's was driving down our street on the way homw and she said her car "stopped going" - it was running and she could rev the engine but there was no transmission action at all. She tried going up the neighbors drive way to back up and turn around but couldn't so I had to push her back and then in front of the house - any ideas? It seems odd it would lose all function suddenly while driving. Is there a vacuum hose or an electronic part that you've ever heard of to cause this?

Thanks,
Charles Levin
Chaz1962

Check the transmission fluid level and condition.
If any electrical control fault is present, the engine computer would usually trigger a code and the Malfunction Indicator Light would show and/or the O/D indicator Light would flash.
Check for trouble codes.

So you don't think it sounds like a major transmission failure, rebuild, replacement situation?

Chaz1962
It is possible but we should always try with the basics. Quite often it is a control problem but if the fluild leel is low, that can result in transmission failing due to overheating and lack of fluid to provide necessary pressure.

Get a scan to check for trouble codes first.