SATURN SC2 SENSOR PROBLEM

1997 Saturn SC2 • 115,000 miles

Shout out to Saturntech9, looks like a lot of your knowledge has gone into helping others here. Thanks.

The car has been shaky and noisey for a long while, seems to keep a higher rpm than normal.

The issue I'm having now is that it will extreme low idle on stops, seemingly only after the car has come to operating temps. It will stall if I don't keep it moving.

I've seen a lot of talk on this and keep being pointed to either the coolant temp sensor, as well as the timing chain. I'm getting a computer diagnostics done via tiresplus =( to see if they can help identify it. (I only did this because I'm short on time.)

Recently I replaced the starter, radiator, water pump and thermostat.

The stalling issue was not prevalent before my work, nor was it happening immediately after.

Hoping for some insight or info here to double check against what TP tells me.

If I can get a confirm on an error code for the coolant sensor, would you review this replacement how-to from autozone, let me know if it's on the up and up. I usually trust their guides.
Hopefully this links works: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c1528017e8ca
Richdenmark

So you have a code for a coolant temp sensor?If so what is the exact code number not code description? Also you need to inspect the inside of the coolant temp sensor connector if the terminals are blue or green instead of silver you will need a new connector also. The sensors crack an leak coolant into the connectors corroding the terminals?To change the sensor all you do is remove the air filter intake tube. Then squease the connector to release it then unscrew the sensor with a 13mm deep socket. Then quickly swap the sensor so you don't loose much coolant.

HAHA, that sounds fun! =) I'm hoping to have an exact code soon. I'll update this afternoon with more info, hopefully. Thanks for getting back to me so soon.

All-in-all I'm holding out hope it's the coolant sensor and not an issue with the timing chain. There is a huge difference there in terms of time/cost commitment.

Richdenmark
Shout out to Saturntech9, looks like a lot of your knowledge has gone into helping others here. He's the only Saturn Tech in here -So pay close attention and do exactly as he says-you'll be fine-Good Day Sat9 have a great weekend my friend-God Bless

The reading came back with no error code. The mechanic inspecting the car had a note for me but did not leave it. I'll touch base with him Monday. As soon as I have more info, or questions I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks,
Rich

Richdenmark
Do you have a ohms meter to do some testing?Hope your have a great weekend also rasmataz my weekend is really busy.