97

1997 Pontiac Transport • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 141,000 miles

I have a 97 pontiac transport and sometimes it wont start up the alternator is good just replaced the battery when u put the key in the lights come on but it wont crank over but if you jump it off it starts right up
Mel_y

Has battery been tested?

Docfixit
Yea the battery was perfect and I had the alternator tested also it was good to. This is the second battery I have replaced

Mel_y
When you state "does not crank over" does starter operate but engine won't fire and run? Or does starter operate slower than normal like draging?

Docfixit
When I put the key in and turn it over it clicks thats all but all the lights are on and sometimes when it does start up it tries to die.

Mel_y
Double check the battery condition and connections. Get a helper to hold key at cranking position while you tap on the starter motor-did it engage the engine-if not jump the starter motor solenoid with a screwdriver see if it kicks over-Let us know

The battery is completely dead, the starter is cranking over like it wants to start, and I did the motor solenoid and it works perfect if the battery isn't dead but the battery has to be jumped off the battery also has developed a big bulge on the side of it. I believe its either the connection to the started that could be corroded or its something running the battery dead but I have no idea what it could be all the lights and everything stay off. Something is running the battery dead every time it sits for more than 15 mins.

Mel_y
Big bulge on the battery means the battery is defective, Get a new one and try it again.

Tried it again battery is still doing the same thing it keeps dying something is causing the battery to run dead and when I keep jumping it off thats what the bulge is from, having to start the battery up every time I get in it to start it up. I dont know going to try replacing the starter if thats not it, I am assuming its electrical some where

Mel_y
Do a battery drainage test before you replace the starter motor