PONTIAC GRAND AM TIMING CHAIN PROBLEM

1997 Pontiac Grand Am • 4 cylinder FWD •

I have coolant leaking into the oil pan through the timing chain housing. When I took off the timing chain cover and examined it, the leak seemed to be coming from back of the timing chain tensioner. I took off the chain and the tensioner, I found coolant leaking from the holes that the tensioner attaches to on the timing chain housing. Why? Is that a problem with a cracked block? The head is new and so is the head gasket. The tensioner is new. I checked the water pump and it has no leaks. What can the problem be? It is an 2.4L quad 4 LD9 engine. (Dual overhead cam)
Jkinard

Are you sure it's not the eater pump leaking?

Wrenchtech
That was typo. Water pump

Can you pressure test and see specifically where it originates from?

Wrenchtech
It is definitely coming from the holes where the timing chain tensioner attaches to the timing chain housing. (Red arrows pointing on picture) I actually see it leaking out of the holes.

Jkinard
I can't open whatever that was.

Wrenchtech
How about this.

Jkinard
Examine it closely to see if there are any cracks around the hole. It's not unheard of for some bolts to enter the water jacket. You may have to silicone the threads of the bolt.

Wrenchtech
No cracks that I can see

Jkinard
You should be able to just seal the threads of the bolt with silicone.

Wrenchtech