PONTIAC BONNEVILLE BATTERY PROBLEM

1997 Pontiac Bonneville • 187,000 miles

Ok so car wouldnt start changed the battery that did nothing someone said the starter got someone over to jumpstart it it started but wouldnt stay running is that the fuel pump or the alternator plz help me thank you Veronica
VeronicaPD

Veronica: I need more info. Did the engine stall after removing the jumper cables? Have you check fuel pump pressure? Have you had the battery load tested to see if it is good? (Most parts stores will do it for free as well as check the alt. However, at this point, I am not questioning the alt).

Let me know,

Replacing the battery kills the computer memories-might need to relearn its idle speed thru the IACV

Ok it was jumped on the starter not with cables with a bar and no cause it is sitting in my yard about half an hr from the closest city the battery is brand new

VeronicaPD
I'm a little confused. If you had to jump it to start it, that tells me there is a problem with power getting to the starter. As far as it not wanting to continue running, then I would say to check fuel pressure.

Ok thats what I was thinking if maybe it was a connection the car is usually in toronto ontario area and it was brought to me in sudbury ontario where there is a ton of snow and salt on the roads : (

VeronicaPD
I live in PA and know what you are talking about

Just need some advice before someone tries to screw me over and charge me for soemthing I dont need

VeronicaPD
It is hard to say. You have two different problems that may or may not be related. The new battery should have taken care of the cranking problem. If it didn't the starter may be bad. It will need checked. Next is the issue that it won't stay running when it does start. That could be several things too. If the check engine light is on, you can have the computer scanned to identify trouble codes.

Well the stater isnt changed yet the guy went under too a bar and jumped it to start it that way it started jsut wouldnt stay running for very long

VeronicaPD
When you turnon the key you can hear the fuel pump kick on

VeronicaPD
Page 1 of 2