I HAVE A 97 OLDS THE GAS GAUGE DON'T WORK IT STAYS BELOW THE E-LINE HOW DO I GET IT FIXED WHATS WRONG WITH IT? THANKS

1997 Oldsmobile Aurora • 172 miles

When I start the car sometimes the gas gauge goes up and then comes down back below the empty line and stays thier I dont know how much gas is in the car. Do you guys know whats wrong?
Jaythompson

Sat9 can provide assistance here this is a piece of cake for him-Check and test the fuel sending unit-start

I belive you are the one that had a gas leak I was helping you with?Then you asked about your gas gauge on the same question you asked about the fuel leak?If so I was only asking you to start another question for the gas gauge issue because I wanted other users to be able to search and find this question. So other users with gas gauge issues could search and find info on this question. Our intentions on here are to help as many people as we can. If we worked thru the fuel gauge issue on your fuel leak question how would other users find that info when it will be under a gas leak question?I wasnt asking you to start a new question to be mean maybe you just didnt understand how I was explaining why I wanted you to start another question?Anyways sorry for the miss understanding. So do you have a multimeter to do some testing?If you do our first step will be to fill the tank till the pump at the gas station turns off. Then we will have to measure the resistance of the fuel sending unit since we will know that the tank is full we can compare the ohms reading of the sending unit verus what the vaule should be with a full tank.

I apologize saturntech9 no problem where do I take it to get repaired electrical shop or so and what price range am I looking at?

Jaythompson
I thought you wanted to test the fuel sending unit yourself?Any good repair shop should be able to diagnose your problem and repair it. Its most likely a bad fuel sending unit though. Whats you zip code and I will try to get you a estimate for repair if its a bad fuel sending unit.

93304

Jaythompson