MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse • 5,000 miles

I just bought a used Eclipse 5 speed. It is really hard to get it into 2nd and reverse, all other gears worked fine drove car for over 2 hours no problem. Now today took it out, same thing until about 5 minutes into the drive I stopped and tried to go in reverse with no luck now the only gear it will shift into is second, it's like I can't find the groves for gears, also I would have to say I had to do an awful lot of movement to shift gears (lots of throw) gs model
thanx!
Ericdangerpitts

Recent rebuild, not done by me! Also only has maybe 500 miles on it.

Ericdangerpitts
What was rebuilt, engine or transmission? Given the changing symptoms, and the history, I think I'd be looking at the shifter linkages and cables to see if something is loose. For cables, you'll need to have a helper move the shift lever while you watch the cables under the hood. Look for a loose lever on the transmission and for an outer casing around a cable that is loose under its attaching bracket.