MERCURY SABLE ENGINE PROBLEM

1997 Mercury Sable • 1,600 miles

Car seems to be stalling and "chugging" smells bad and brakes And steering whell will lock up and car will shut off"
Sskomra

It is normal to lose power assist to the brakes and steering when the engine stalls. Is the check engine light on? Does it smell like rotten eggs?

Engine light has been on since I bought it. No rotten egg smell, smells and sounds like a motorcycle. Could it be because I'm below a half tank of gas?

Sskomra
No, the fuel level shouldn't have an affect. It almost sounds like the catalytic converter is plugged. Have you checked that?

What's that? How do I check it?

Sskomra
The catalytic converter is part of the exhaust system and is an emissions component. It is square and usually closer to the engine. Check to see if it is getting red hot when the engine warms up. If it is, chances are it is plugged. Also, you may have to have the back pressure tested to see if it is plugged.