MERCURY SABLE BATTERY PROBLEM

1997 Mercury Sable • 200,000 miles

Have brand new alternator checked battery and checked fuses but car not holding charge
Maryshepard

How was the battery checked? Why was the alternator replaced?

Checked at advance and changed alternator because battery light come on and my husband took terminal iff battery to test alternator and it was bad so we bought a new one know it wont hold charge

Maryshepard
Taking the battery cable off while running does nothing but damage other components. Never a test for alternator as it needs 12 volts to work. Removing the cable shuts everything off

Oh ok that way he was told to check it. We took both the battery and the alternator back off car and advance tested them said they was good but when put back on car still wont hold car any ideals I thought maybe it starter relay

Maryshepard
What happens? Does it crank over? Does it start? Is there power?

Yea it will crank but has to be jumped can drive for about ten minutes then battery dies again

Maryshepard
Check the voltage at the battery with the motor running. It sounds like you have a bad battery

Ok thank you very much

Maryshepard
Get back to us with the voltage

100 cold amps

Maryshepard