MY BATTARY SEENED DEAD,I CHARGED IT CAR STARTED 3X THEN SEEMED DEAD I CHARGED IT AGAIN WONT START,

1997 Mercury Sable • 100,000 miles

I took off pos cable while running to test alternator(i know now, dumb)
what damage could I have done, how can I test for damage. Car won't turn over now
Kbulllock

So does it crank no start or no crank no start?

Have the battery and alternator load tested-start here

The car does not crank only thing I hear now is a metallic clatter sounds like it may be coming from the starter but before I took off the pos it only sounded like a low battery and would start if I charged it

Kbulllock
I am afraid I fried the computer

Kbulllock
Either you have a bad battery and connections or starter motor-

If the starter is inop I would make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. Also make sure the battery tests good and is fully charged.

The battery tests good, I was wondering if there is a way to see if the computer is working without a tester obd2 it seemed to be an alternator problem(as it sounded funny) I think I damaged something as the problem seems totally different now

Kbulllock
Have you checked all the fuses?A obd2 code reader would be nice to see if it linked to the ecm.