ENGINE WON'T TURN OFF? KEY CYLINDER MAYBE?

1997 Mazda b2300 • 170,000 miles

I am completely stumped.

I have a 97 2.3l manual mazda b2300 truck that will not turn off. I had to stall it and then disconnect the battery to shut it off. What has me stumped is that even if I take the key out it keeps running. After I stalled the engine the power is still on even when I remove the key the gauges and lights are still on. I can't get the power to go off unless I disconnect the battery. As soon as I reconnect the battery lights and radio all come back on, even with the key out!

Plus. After stalling the engine I couldn't get it started again(at least not with the key). The key just spins from off to the run position without any resistance, like it doesn't know the key is there, but if that's the case, why won't it turn off?

I have replaced the ignition switch and that hasn't helped. The switch seems to be working just fine and I am told that if it was the key cylinder than it shouldn't move at all, instead of just moving back and forth. In order to get the key out I still need it to be in the off position with the little safety knob pushed back. It just doesn't seem to make a difference where or what the key is doing.

Ideas?

P.S. Not sure if this matters but the way I got it started again, without the key, was by connecting the battery, keeping the key in the run position just in case, and using a copper wire to run power from the battery to the solenoid (it didn't work with just a screwdriver, I needed the power from the battery)
Kirby83

The key cylinder operates a mechanism that moves ignition switch. I would remove key cylinder and inspect that mechanism.

Fixitmr