ALARM

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 4 cylinder 4WD Manual • 90,000 miles

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.5 diesel right hand drive. The alarm fob will not unlock door nor disable alarm and allow car to start. I have put fresah batteries in fob and have confirmed that it is transmitting a signal. What next? Can I permanently disable the alarm if so how?
Ritchie589

System can be disarmed by unlocking a front door, liftgate if not by remote keyless entry transmitter(fob)
check door jam wiring harness

BMRFIXIT
You cannot dissable the alarm permanently but you can reset it. That vehicle comes equiped with a VTSS Module (Vehicle Theft Security System). Locate it under the dashboard, left side, just the place you put your left knee while sitting on the driver's seat. Underneeth, the module has three connectors. One of them is square shaped. No need to unplug any, jus locate a violet wire with a black stripe, pinch it for a fraction of a second with a sewing pinch connected to a good ground. That will instantly dissable the alarm. What you have just done is what the door key switch does every time you unlock the vehicle from the outside by using your key. If you need to always use this procedure for disarming the alarm, then there might be a faulty swich sending spurious signals to the VTSS. The switches to inspect are the four doors open switches, liftgate open switch and hood open switch (this last one is a mercury one located on the base of the lamp that lights the engine compartment when the hood is lifted, it hangs from under the hood). Instead of wanting to disable the alarm permanently you can not arm it. You do that by always locking the doors manulally either by sliding the locks or by using your key to lock the vehicle from the outside. Do all this without moving the door lock switch levers that are on each front door.

Ernesto123
The the key remote has been squashed so its not working but have got another remote from another jeep will have to be reprogramed? The red light on the dash is still flashing, but dont no how to bypass the imobliser its a 1998 grand cherokee ltd so is the VTSS connected to the imobiliser not sure many thanks

Reikiwarrior777
The VTSS is arming as the light is flashing on the dash but with the squashed remote carnt disarm the jeep il try the violet wire 1st then get the engine started and sort a new remote out

Reikiwarrior777