WHAT IS MOST LIKELY TO BE THE ISSUE (OR ISSUES) WITH MY CAR SO I CAN TAKE IT INTO A MECHANIC AND ASK THEM TO SPECIFICALLY CHECK THOSE THINGS OUT?

1997 Infiniti J30 • 205,000 miles

After getting an oil change on my car (infiniti j30 '97) I noticed the temperature of the engine gets abnormally hot after only a few minutes of driving. It does not over heat but the temperature gauge is indicating higher temperatures than normal. I suspect that the problem started before I got the oil change, I just noticed it after. The engine seems to hesitate when I'm on the freeway. I don't take it on the freeway often but the last time I did, I noticed that once I got to my destination there was some smoke rising from the hood. The car is not actually mine but given to me by a family member and I'm not sure of it's maintenance history. With these symptoms is this more likely to be an issue with the engine or with the cooling system?
Colibriaries

Where was the smoke coming from exactly?

Take it to shop that scans for codes for free and let us know what you find out.

Take a look at the condition of the coolant. It should be bright green or MAYBE orange. If it appears rusty, have the cooling system flushed.

Also check the coolant level and top off as needed.

Rivermikerat