CAN FAULTY A/C CONDENSER FAN MAKE CAR OVERHEAT WITHOUT EVER HAVING TURNED ON A/C

1997 Hyundai Tiburon • 11,100 miles

Are both fans supposed to come on at the same time on a 97 hyundai tiburon 2.0 liter. Sorry to ask 2 questions but this overheating problems starting to get to me. Thanks again, Michael p.S Already replaced one thermostat now on to number two and the water pump is fine
MichaelSmithey

Did it overheat prior to the repair? If so, how many times? Get a leak down test to confirm a blown head gasket.

Both fans are supposed to run together with or without A/C.

Do you mean engine has more than one thermostat? This is news to me.

Do you have coolant losses issues?

These fans are NOT wired to run simultaneously. One of them is a radiator cooling fan and the other is an A/C condenser fan and are prompted to run differently

Wrenchtech
Please check the wiring schematics.

I did, They are triggered independently

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/Wrenchtech/62548557.gif

Wrenchtech
Circuit is independent but they work together.

They wouldn't be independently controlled if that were the case.

Wrenchtech
This is what says.

DESCRIPTION & OPERATION

The electric cooling fans are used for radiator and A/C condenser cooling. Cooling fans operate when A/C is on and when engine coolant temperature exceeds a specific value. One or more cooling fan relays may be used. Radiator and condenser fan motors are controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM) based on engine temperature input and A/C system status.

Nothing in that description states that they run simultaneously all the time. The PCM has in dependent controls so it is able to control them independently. I'm not saying that there is never a scenario that runs both of them but they have their own independent criteria to run and they may or may not run together at any given time.

Wrenchtech
I don't know maybe the vehicles over your place has a different system but the Tiburon we have here have both fans running when A/C is turned on or when temperature increases.