RATTLING/CLUNKING NOISE ONLY HEARD WHILE ACCELERATING

1997 Honda CRV • 210,000 miles

I've been hearing what sounds like a metal on metal rattle/clunk while accelerating, the noise is constant and as soon as you lift off the pedal, the noise stops. It also makes a clicking/popping noise when turning left. (Both CV axles were replaced a year ago). All the bushings look ok and all the bolts are tight on the suspension. I did a driveway test and put the car in drive and held the brake to try and isolate it, found 3 broken motor mounts ( it has a total of 5!), Replaced them all and the noise is still there. In the past year I've replaced various parts due to being severely worn or broken; lower ball joints, sway bar end links, brake rotors and pads. I've narrowed the noise down to the driver side front and I can only hear while the car is in motion, I can't get the noise to reproduce by any other means. Struts/coils appear to be in good shape, theres no leaks and doesnt bounce, there's no play in the wheel at all ( inner/outer tie rods were replaced too 6 months ago). Just replaced tires a month ago and had a front end alignment at Goodyear and they didn't find anything either. Help!
Crv97

I suspect the lf axle. When it turns it clunks, you said, that is an indicator of an axle. It may also be making noise on acceleration.

That's what I thought as well, both axles were replaced a year ago and were still under warranty so I replaced it a couple weeks ago, and its still amking the noise. =(

Crv97
New or used axles?

They were rebuilt, but. The original one had like a rubber damper on the middle of the shaft like it was molded on there, neither of the 2 that I replaced it with had this. I also looked up the axle on honda's website and it doesnt show it either, weird.

Crv97
Although the shaft does have slight play at the inner joint, like its too short, but the noise was there before and after putting the rebuilt one on.

Crv97
The rubber is never on replacement axles. Only on new ones from honda which makes the price very high.

Have the hub bearing checked and make sure the torque is correct on the axle nut

Will do, but if the axle from honda comes with the rubber. Doesn't it 'need' it? : / And is the hub bearing the same as the wheel bearing?

Crv97
Yes, hub bearing and wheel bearing are the same.

It is for balance more than anything.

Wouldnt I have other symptoms too with a bad bearing? Like the noise getting louder as I drive. Cause as soon as you let off the gas even at highway speeds. All the banging/rattling stops as it coasts until you get on the gas again. Its weird. One of those you have to hear it things. : /

Crv97
Could be but what did you torque the axle nut at when you did the axles?

Page 1 of 2