4.3L VORTEC COOLING SYSTEM QUESTION

1997 GMC Sonoma • 237,000 miles

Hi I have a 4.3L vortec engine in a 97 gmc Sonoma. The engine temp gets to nearly 100 degrees celsius when the engine initially heats up before the cooling system kicks in. This just recently starte happening, it used to kick in at around 70 to 80 always then keep the temp there. After kicking in at 100 it still brings it back down to 70 and keeps it there but what could the reason be for it kicking in later now? And only when it first heats up?
Radracer

Possible thermostat. Make sure the level is good. Did it overheat? If it did, have the system checked for a possible head gasket

Cool thanks for the response. Never overheated, red line is 125 but it never quite gets to 100. Just weird that it started getting that high. But the coolant is brand new and full so I'll check the thermostat, you're probably right.

Radracer