WHAT IS THE SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM DETAILED BELOW

1997 GMC Safari • 205,450 miles

I removed the insides of my catalytic converter, after I put it all back together the engine light would not go out, after a few days when my van got up to temperature it started to cough and sputter, lacking power when under load. I ignored it for three or four days, also I kept smelling exhaust, which caused me to re-check that there were no leaks from the exhaust system, a few days later, when accelerating it began to clatter inside the engine. Major noise. Someone suggested that I had either a lifter going or my catalytic converter was clogged, causing chaos. This caused me to remove the pipe with the converter on it again to make sure that it wasn't clogged. I could see the light from one end to another, then I stuck a hose through from one end to another, then I blasted it with water from a garden hose, it is totally clear, nothing inside but empty pipe. I put on ear muffs and ran the van for 10 minutes without the exhaust on it. It was too loud, I couldn't tell if the clatter was still there or not. Two days later, after I was sure all the water was gone from the pipe, I re-installed the pipe and converter. The van ran fine for twenty minutes or so, on a hi-way run, my engine light never went out though, then after it got hot my coughing and sputtering started up again. Like pressure is building up, and messing with the valves. Or?
Safarigoose

Try doing a back pressure test on the exhaust when its acting up. Did the cat you hallowed out did it come apart is that why you hallowed it out?Any codes?

Not sure how to do a back pressure test, could you explain? The catalytic converter rattled a lot. It was either replace it for $1000 or hollow it out. The van is in good shape but it isn't worth spending this. There must be codes. I just don't have a reader, was looking them up as you emailed me.

Safarigoose
If the cat was loose and rattling pieces of it could have broken off and lodged further down the pipe clogging the exhaust when it gets hot. To check for back pressure you would have to by the tester gauge kit for 40-60 or take it to a exhaust when it was acting up and have it tested. If you decide to buy a gauge let me know and I will give you instructiins on testing it. If you dont live in california you can go to a auto parts store like auto zone and get the car scanned for codes for free.

Hi. So let s run with your train of thought here. Say the muffler s flow has been restricted. When I looked in the pipe before the muffler, where the pipe I removed is attached. It was clear completely. So then the only thing that can be in it was dust. Would that restrict it? Can I blow air backwards through it? Or water? Or would it be toast? Thanks! Steve

Safarigoose
If all the pipes arw for sure clear were good a little dust isnt going to cause any issues. Now how about getting me the codes in the computer?That will lead us somewhere iam sure.