TRANSMISSION NOT ENGAGING IN DRIVE OR REVERSE WHEN SHIFTING.

1997 Ford F-150 • 202,000 miles

I just completed an engine replacement in my '97 F150, 4.6 V8, 2WD truck. I did not notice any torque converter slippage, and no major issues connecting the new engine to the transmission. The engine starts and runs fine, but when I tried to test drive it, the shifter will move to R, N, D, 1, &2 and the linkage moves but the tansmission will not engage into gear. I have also checked and re-checked the transmission fluid level several times. It seems as though I may have a defective linkage or a sensor of some kind that I may have either not connected properly or has gone bad that would cause this. I have a very limited amount of experience with transmissions. Any thoughts on this problem?
Mdacrunge

Try checking the transmission range sensor-let me know

Not sure how to check that. I know where it is but the only thing I could come up with was to see if the car will start in P and N and it will. Also the reverse lights come on when shifting to R. We got it to shift and go in to R and D, but we had to really push the accelerator pedal down to get it to move. Once going it shifted fine.

Mdacrunge
You have a transmission problem-bring it in to a transmission specialty shop and have it looked at-also the TRS this the one that tells the computer what gear is it in and then commands the transmission

Took it in to the transmission shop. Apparently we accidentally stabbed the pump with the torque converter. : ( Anyway, $1800 later should be good as new! Thanks for the suggestions.

Mdacrunge
Sorry about the hard hit to the wallet. This is why I usually prefer to connect the engine and trans outside of the vehicle. I've creased/perforated too many front seals to do it any other way anymore.

Rivermikerat