FORD F-150 GAS PROBLEM

1997 Ford F-150 • 140,000 miles

Hi, I have a large amount of oil (brown sludge) in my antifreeze reservoir and cooling system, and there was bubbling/pulsing in the reservoirlast time I had it running, but there is no apparrent coolant in the oil. I drained the oil and it all was black and good looking, no milkshake. I started taking things apart, and when I pulled the thermostat out the intake manifold gasket is visibly blown out, looking in the hole where the thermostat goes. Is it possible that this hole in the intake manifold gasket can cause my condition of oil in antifreeze but no antifreeze in oil? If so it would make this a lot cheaper and easier fix than if it something more serious like a head gasket or cracked/warped head. Is it worth just trying to replace the intake manifold gasket first or does it have to be something else more serious to cause the condition I have? I am working on this in my driveway with minimal tools and very little knowledge of mechanics, so any help would be appreciated! Thank you
Brome84

It cold be the intake or a head gasket blown an dforcing oil into anti freeze, a more like ly cause.

I knew that much. The point is that I KNOW that the intake manifold is bad, I can see it. What I am wondering is that if it is possible that oil will get into the antifreeze at this location (just under the thermostat) but no antifreeze getting into the oil. I know the head gasket might be more likely, but a lot more work too, so what I am trying to figure out is if there is a good possibility that the intake manifold gasket is the only problem.

Brome84
No because there is no Pressureized oil in the intake however the head gasket there is so the pressureoil goes into anti freeze.

Wouldnt the head gasket being bad also cause there to be antifreeze in my oil? Anybody else with ideas?

Brome84
Not necessarily it wold eitehr leak out into or under intake gasket if it did that or it leaks into cylinder andgoes out tailpipe. Normally oil pressure is greater than antifreeze so it will leak into coolant first. Obviously you aren't beleiveng what i'm suggesting. Repost for another answer.

Your first post said it "could be the intake" but more likely the head gasket, then changed to that it has to be the head gasket, therefore made me not sure if I should trust what your saying and spend tonnes more money and time taking the heads off if there is a possibility its not needed

Brome84
You also don't want to just do the intake only to find out later that there was also a head gasket issue. The only way to be 100% sure is to do a leak down test.I would suggest that you take it to a shop and have that test done.

Homer1967