FORD ESCORT COMPRESSION PROBLEM

1997 Ford Escort • 95,000 miles

Left home got 'bout a mile down the road, Hear{flapity-flapity-flapity} Thought front tire comming apart, pulled over to check tires, as I look at 1st tire{drvr, frt} the Engine dies, so I pop the hood & See the Serpentine Belt has broke and is wrapped around the crankshaft, harmonicballancer, said some foul words. Had car towed back home. Relaced belt, ok lets fire it up; Nope turns over wont run, I look hard and find that the busted belt-hit the CSPS, so I replaced that. Ok, lets try this agin. Nope, turns over wont Run?I checked FIRE/FUEL and even removed 3bolts from Valve Cover{to See "if"} maybe timming belt broke too? Just a thought.'Cause it SOUNDS unusual Like? No compression/dragging?/Hanging?/Had this car for yrs For the most part, this car is Sound, even checked all fuses?Help Please. Tim {352}598-1436
Bonezz777

What component locked up to break the serp belt. It does not do this without a failure in something in the front.

After this is determined, go back to the crank sensor. Make sure the wiring and sensor itself is not damaged.

Lastly, do a compression test to verify if the timing belt is good.

Thank You for Your reply; the belt broke from old age/oil saturation. Powerstearing leak. All pullys free. Has fire, fuel, valves open/shut. Compression? Dont know. Makes No since, runs tight, untill belt broke.

Bonezz777
You can rent a compression gauge at a parts store and follow the instructions.

Check the fuel pressure as well.

Hi Roy, I'm 30 miles from anything, fire is strong jumps 2inches when tested. Question: is there a possiability, that when belt broke, hit the CSPS it "caused the Computor" to 'shut down' in a? Safty mode? I took bat. Cables off for 20min. To try & reset, Didnt work.

Bonezz777
Nope. But if you have spark, the crank sensor is ok.

I still think you have a timing belt issue from your description

I replaced CSPS, other got wacked by shredding belt, all was OK untill then? When motor turns over w/key it sounds weak/strange, just dosnt sound normal, had car for yrs, I know it normally dont Sound this way? The Serp breaking Shouldn't affect the Timming, would it? Thanks.

Bonezz777
One of the pulleys or tensioner in the timing belt area may have locked up. The serp belt breaks for a reason.

Remove the front cover and take a look

Okay, I just went out to car removed belt {just in case} to free up any possiable seized up pullys. Did spin a lil free'er but Still dont Run? And this lil sideways motor. They give you about 2inches of Work space between engine and Fenderwell. Say I Do take off timming Cover, what am I looking for? Timming marks? Jumped time? Just was running Too good, for all this to happen Over a serp belt?

Bonezz777
Roy, I took the timing cover off{what a pain} the belt and tentioner was bad, is there a picture some where, or a easy position of the crank and cam timing marks? Tim

Bonezz777
Yep, I am at work will get it to you soon