WHAT COULD BE CAUSING A GRINDING SOUND IN MY ENGINE ONLY ABOVE 5K RPMS? ALSO WHAT COULD BE CAUSING MY CAR TO IDLE EXTREMELY LOW WHILE IN GEAR?

1997 Eagle Talon • 120,000 miles

A/T and turbo engine

Grinding Sound:
-happens whether car is in gear or not
-starts at exactly the same rpm every time

Low Idle:
-Base idle is about 900-1000
-Low idle doesn't change much if base idle gets turned up
-idle in gear drops to about 200-400
-very slightly rough
-Some times the car will die when shifted into D or R; other
times it will not even budge like perfect

Known problems:
>car shifts hard some times between gears and when going into
>>D or R
>>>A while back I had my engine mounts that were bad changed(supposedly), but the car still bangs into gear. I believe my back mount is bad or didn't get changed at all I can't tell, because the engine moves way to much while shifting. It has been doing this for a while and the other 2 problems I am asking about have just come up so I don't know if they are really related or not.
Cstaff25

I just read on the website here that if that mount is failing or has failed like I suspect that could cause the noise. That makes sense because I don't lose power or have a rough acceleration when this happens.

Cstaff25
Sounds good to me the engine may be moving and fan or something on belt is hitting something. Noises are very hard for us to diagnose as we can't hear them.