DODGE VAN ENGINE PROBLEM

1997 Dodge Van • 125,000 miles

Had both head gasket replaced had the van back for three days when it started blowing white smoke and blow a rod in the engine the mechanic said nothing he did caused this. The reason I took it in the first place it was leaking water thinking it need a water pump. The mechanic said I need the head gaskets replaced. I put out 2060.00 for this repair and now the engine is blown. The mechanic said hes not responible for this. And he said the heads are cracked the one he replaced.
Bonniejcampion5317

Wow. I'm sorry to hear this. What engine do you have?

The bottom end on Chrysler's LA engines is pretty robust; thrown rods don't normally happen unless you're racing, or ran your oil pan empty.

The heads are proving to be a problem. When Chrysler redesigned the LA heads in the early 90s to introduce the "Magnum" engines, it seemed like a good idea at the time, now, 20 years later, they are prone to develop cracks between the valves on the outboard cylinders. (Numbers 1 & 4.) I've had to weld and put hard seats in them. This may be your smoking problem.

From what little you've said, I don't think your rod problem, and your head problem are related, although this may not be the case if your engine was running very, very hot.

Keep us posted.

Jeffrey

JeffreyDJudson