DODGE TRUCK HEATER PROBLEM

1997 Dodge Truck • 76,400 miles

Luke warm heat issue - changed thermostat, new radi. Cap, ran 2 treatments of wynns in heat system, flushed heater core, flushed complete heat system, checked heat control dial, hose on top of radiator hot & bottom hose cool, hoses in & out of heater core hot, at an idle luke warm & when I rev engine half way to redline heat gets hot but let off and back to luke warm

1997 dodge 1500 4x4 ext. Cab 5.9L automatic 76,400 original miles
Jasman74

Sounds like a bad heater core. Have it power flushed, additives for flushing have little or no effect on the system

Today we put a new water pump on it and did a power flush on the heater core and radiator (crystal clean no junk at all) = no change

Jasman74
WITH YOUR RIG AT OPERATING TEMP

CAN YOU EZily AND COMFORTABLY WRAP YOUR HAND AROUND THE HEATER HOSES (ONE AT A TIME) AS THEY ENTER AND LEAVE THE FIREWALL (HEATER CORE)OR ARE THEY PRETTY DARN HOT AND YOU WANNA TURN 'EM LOOSE?

They get very hot, dont want to hold them

Jasman74
I MEANT TO TELL YOU THANKS FOR PROVIDING YOUR VEHICLE INFORMATION

THE SITE DOESN'T "PROMPT" IT FROM YOU WHEN YOU SUBMIT YOUR QUESTION AND IT IS TIME CONSUMING WHEN YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR IT 99% OF THE TIME

IT'S BEEN MY EXPERIENCE THAT IF THE HEATER CORE IS STOPPED UP----ONE HOSE WILL BE HOT AND THE OTHER VERY COOL (MAYBE A TAD OF WARMTH)

I HAVE RARELY SEEN BOTH BEING COOL OR BARELY WARM (REALLY CLOGGED UP)

SINCE YOU SAY BOTH ARE HOT---I CONCLUDE THE CORE IS FLOWING WELL

I SUSPECT YOU HAVE A DOOR PROBLEMCOULD BE: BROKE/ STUCK/ MOTOR NOT WORKING (SHOT OR NO POWER/ IF VACUUM OPERATED (NO VACUUM) / LINKAGES TO THE DOORS MAY BREAK----I'VE EVEN PULLED OBJECTS OUT OF HEATERS THAT HAD SOMETHING HUNG UP. LIKE A STRAW OR PENCIL DROPPED IN THE DEFROST VENTS

I DID NOT WATCH ANY OF THESE VIDEOS (WHEN I HAVE TIME I DO LOOK FOR "JUST THE RIGHT ONE")

LOOK AT THE ONES CONCERNING THE DOORS (EVEN THE HEATER TREETER ONE) A LOT OF THE TIME WHILE THEY TEAR INTO ONE---YOU GET TO SEE THE MOTOR / DOORS/ LINKAGES, EVEN IF WHAT THEY FIX IS NOT THE PROBLEM

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=1997+DODGE+1500+HEATER+DOORS&oq=1997+DODGE+1500+HEATER+DOORS&gs_l=youtube.12...71855.76542.0.78108.6.6.0.0.0.0.51.212.6.6.0...0.0...1ac.1.ayfvVC3JAyA

THE OTHER THING YOU CAN DO IS CHANGE MY "SEARCH WORDING" THIS MAY GET YOU OTHER OR BETTER HITS

KEEP US POSTED