STARTER GRINDING FLYWHEEL

1997 Dodge Ram • 158,500 miles

I bought a brand new starter and after proper installation the starter is grinding the flywheel. I thought it might have been the bolts so I bought brand new bolts for the starter and put them on and it is still grinding. It will start sometimes but will grind at first, sometimes it will just grind the flywheel and not start. I checked the flywheel teeth and they seemed to look fine. PLEASE HELP
RamWill

Recheck the starter. The teeth could be different. Count the number of tooth and measure the outer diameter to be sure.

The starter is made for the truck are you saying that I could need a starter with more or less teeth? The starter has 11 teeth

RamWill
Did you confirm the replacement starter is exactly the same as previous and was problem present prior to replacement?

Reman starters can be wrong.

Initially when my truck wouldnt start I thought it was the starter so I bought a new one and it still didnt start. This was before the grinding the starter seemed to not have enough juice. It ended up being a ground wire. I replaced the ground and already had the new starter on and it started fine the first time. The second time it started to grind but started. I took the starter off and the teeth was fine so I put the starter back on and now it is just grinding the teeth of the flywheel like it is just grazing it. And it is the same starter as the one I took out

RamWill
If it is the same starter that was originally on vehicle, I would be looking for installation faults. Something is causing the reach of the starter pinion gear to be shortened causing the grinding.

How would make the gear extend out to fully contact the flywheel? Could I possibly need longer mounting bolts or set the starter in a certain way?

RamWill
I just want to confirm this.

Is this the original or the new starter that you have in vehicle?

New starter

RamWill
The starter bolts to mount it were mismatch and did not seem to tighten fully, so I bought new bolts that tighten down very well, they are not as long but they tighten the starter down as much as possible. So I didnt think that really mattered as long as the bolts were tightened as uch as possible

RamWill
Remove the starter and compare it visually with the original starter. The new starter could be of the wrong dimensions.

Page 1 of 2