CHEVROLET UPLANDER ENGINE PROBLEM

1997 Chevrolet Uplander • 150,000 miles

I have a 1997 Chevy 3500 HD cab and Chassis truck. It has the 454 engine, manual 5 speed, 2 wheel drive. It is a fleet vehicle and we use it to move skidsteers. 12,000 pound loads. It has never been a power house but always reliable. We have had for atleast 8 years. It runs hot in my opinion and always has. 210-220 not uncommon. Low on power but gets the job done. Starts and dies hot or cold then runs smooth. It has been this way for a long time and we are thinking of getting rid of. Everyone says are you sure that is a 454 because they had drove one in the past that was way more powerful. Does anyone have a suggestion of what may need to be repaired or are my drivers just used to the diesel engines they have and forgot what the 454 was like. I should also tell you the exhaust is very rich smelling, always has been but the truck does not smoke or use oil. Thanks for any imput

210-220 on temp is ok as it shold have a 195 tstat and the sender is in the head anyhow. Check that for loose intake manifold bolts, they are only 6 mm and loosen up and it causes a vacuum leak. Also check fuel pressure it shold have 56 psi minimum. Also check intake vacuum if at 15" or belwo suspect a clogged converter.