WE HAVE A CHEVY 350 VORTEC THAT NEEDED THE HEAD GASKET REPLACED. WHEN WE GO TO SET THE HEAD BACK DOWN ON ONE SIDE, WE CANNOT GET THE HEAD TO REST DOWN ON TABS/NUBS/DOWELS EVENLY. IF WE TIGHTEN DOWN THE BOLTS ON AN ALTERNATE BASIS, WILL THEY SUCCESSFU

1997 Chevrolet Truck

We have successfully reinstalled the head on the one side. But despite several attempts, we cannot get this other side to sit properly. If we get the back on where its supposed to be, then the front lifts off. Vice versa. We have no problem getting the bolts into position and started. We just do not want to damage the head. When removing the heads the heads lifted off without resistance or any force whatsoever
Sheilatole

Are the dowel pins in the block or the head?

The pins are on the block. The bottom of the head has the "hole" to which the pins go in

Sheilatole
Did a machine shop plane the head?

The head is in the exact condition that it was in when it was taken off of the block. All that was done to it was a surface clean by ourselves to remove any old gasket remnants.

Sheilatole
It almost sounds like it is not straight. Did you set it on concrete while it was apart?

I would also take something straight and level and run it across the head to see if it is warped.

I will check it right away. Is it easy for the heads to warp? I believe that we just had it sitting in the box of the truck. IF it is warped. What are our options?

Sheilatole
Have it decked if there is enough room. A machine shop can tell you that

Ty

Sheilatole
Good luck