97 MAKING A HORRIBLE NOISE

1997 Chevrolet Suburban

I could not tell you exactly what happened but I was getting off the highway and went about 5 miles down a residential road, when my truck just starting making a horrible noise. The only way I can describe it, is that it sounds like something fell off the bottom of my car and was being dragged along the road. I checked under my car and nothing at all dropped, the car has a weird light smell coming from it. The sound gets worse if I don't hit the pedal, or if I brake. If I step on it, then it levels out until it hit 40mph then it begins to make that noise again. I don't know if it is something has silly as needing tranny fluid, but I don't know if it could be something major too.
Banderson22t

The symptom description does not give us much to work with and it is best to get someone to have a look at it.

Since you did not see anything loose or hanging and a smell was emityted, I would suggest taking a look at the drive belts and components thereabouts.