CHEVROLET SILVERADO MECHANIC PROBLEM

1997 Chevrolet Silverado • 237,000 miles

Im hoping you fellow car guys can help me out on this one. I have a 97 chevy 1500 4x4 with a 4l60e tranny. I am experiencing a horrible clicking sound only at slow speeds and is in sync with engine rpm's. It sounds like I tried to throw it into park from a roll. Once I gain some speed it will go away. I can give it unlimited power with the brakes on in gear but at soon as the wheels start to move the sound reers its ugly face. I pulled the pan and everything looks fine. One of the shift solinoids seems a litte loose but it is cliped in securiy. Does anyone have any ideas. This is my only vehicle and I need to find the problem before a catostrophic falirure happens
Pilona42

There is a tool you might be able to borrow or rent from an auto parts store that borrows them called the "Chassis Ear". It is a set of six microphones, a switch box, and headphones. You clip the microphones to suspect points, then drive around while listening with the headphones. You can move the microphones around to zero in on the source of the noise. Be aware that many mechanics have never seen or even heard of this tool. Suspension and alignment mechanics use it to find rattles, squeaks, and other noises.