CHEVROLET SILVERADO ENGINE PROBLEM

1997 Chevrolet Silverado • 186,000 miles

Why did PCV plastic cover blow off on my 97 Chevy Silverado 5.7L?
I was trying to crank my silverado and the PCV plastic cover just blew off. It made a pop and blue smoke came from under hood and thats when I notice the plastic PCV cover blown off. What could have cause this to happen. I wish that it was some kind of way to post pictures to show what I am taking bout. The plastic PCV cover has the 90 degree elbow on it.

Willietownsend

The pcv system may have a problem, clogged? Possibly too much crankcase pressure? With a warm engine remove oil fill cap, is it puffing out smoke? If so, that is blow-by.

Just to add, I melted a piston, once, along the edge where the rings are located. The crankcase pressure was so high, it blew the pcv valve out of the valve cover and sprayed oil all over the engine compartment.

How can you correct this problem?

Willietownsend
It depends on the problem, if it has a lot of blow-by, piston rings.

I put that new plastic cover on and new PCV valve and it is driving good. I just don't want it to happen again.

Willietownsend
The new valve might have fiXed it, hopefully.