WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 173 miles

I have an automatic 1997 Chevy Cavalier 2.4L DOHC. The water pump is leaking really bad (see attached images), and the mechanics around here are asking 1200+ for a repair (they decided to include my timing chain as broken in the estimate as well, however I know enough about the engine to know my timing chain isn't too far gone.) I'm just trying to replace the water pump and all necessary parts so I can get it on the road and take it to a mechanic to fix the timing chain later.

I have the pump, the gaskets, the timing chain, the 3-sprocket, and the thermostat sitting next to me. So, I'm looking for step-by-steps and some images so I can relate what I'm reading to what I'm seeing. I've read it requires the exhaust manifold to be removed, and I've read that it doesn't. Clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the name of another good maintenance manual would be appreciated. Haynes doesn't appear to be anywhere but on their website anymore, and I don't want to pay $24 for a 14-yr old car manual. Plus, I've seen some of the Haynes manuals for a Mustang, and they're not very clear with instructions.

I may be hoping for too much, but whatever information you can produce would be helpful in copious amounts. Thanks in advance.
Zdavidi

The reason it is $1200 is because the water pump is driven by the t chain. So you might as well replace it all at the same time. If your timing chain goes, your valves will hit the pistons and then it's major engine damage. You can get the manual online herer through the site for like 3 days for your car. It's like $10-15 for that service and you could print out whatever you wanted. On a repair like this they won't just replace the water pump for obvious reasons, they want to do the whole thing so there isn't any trouble nor customer complaints. Pics and instructions attached.

My advice is to pay the money. This is one of the hardest pumps out there to change and if you make even a small mistake, you can bend every valve in it.

Wrenchtech
This car isn't even worth 1200 in GREAT Condition and therefore, it's not worth the repair amount. If you suggest changing the timing chain, would you mind including those steps and pictures as well so I can determine what I'm going to do?

Also, how do I order the maintenance manual through the website? Does it look like the images you attached? Is there a way to print these in a manual format?

Zdavidi
You can get the manual you can get all the info there. Just look under information