CHEVY FUEL PUMP, BATTERY

1997 Chevrolet Blazer

1997 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 240000 miles

My 1997 Chevy Blazer has a new battery and something is draining it I can hook up battery cables to it and its just fine. I just put a new fuel pump in about 3years ago. When I turn the key on I can not hear my fuel pump. I can pour gas in the throttle body and it will run untill that gas is gone. Then today I went to start it and it started without putting gas in the throttle body just for about 10sec. Please Help!
Chevyblazerlady

It sounds alot like the fuel pump went again. I believe the fuel pump is not part of the sending unit on those, so it shouldnt be to expensive, and its a fairly easy job that can be done in a driveway.

Madmike1735
Does it have anything to do with the ignition switch? Ive heard that I need to replace it? And what color is the wire that goes to the fuel pump to test it?

Chevyblazerlady
Easy way to tell if its in the ignition switch is to simply turn it on. Does the radio turn on, and does the instrument panel have all the lights in it light up? (Check engine, abs, brake, etc) if so, its not in the ignition. As far as which wire it is to the pump, without dropping the tank, you wont beable to gain access to the harness, so u might as well just drop the tank, remove the ring holding the sending unit into the tank, and remove it. Make sure you have a drain pan handy, and a blow gun. Turn the sending unit/fuel pump assembly upside down, drain all the gas from it. Use the blow gun to blow off residual. Take it atleast 15 ft from the tank, and on the fuel pump it self, there will be 2 studs on the pump. Put ground to one, power the other. Doesnt matter which way, as long as u dont run it dry for an extended period of time. One way will pump, one way will push. If u have any movement from the pump, u will feel it spin fast. Try it a few times, if every time it works, then the pump is good. Most likely the pump is bad, and needs replacement. If this happens, make sure u get the right pump. There are 2 different models. Where the bottom mounts to the sending unit, it sits in a rubber grommet. If the shape is a tear shape, its one design, if its shaped like a D, its the other. Make sure you know which one u have before you buy the pump.

Madmike1735
We are droppin the tank today. But Now what about my battery? Whats draining it? Im really confused on how to check all the fueses?

Chevyblazerlady
Another thing. How do I take the lines off the tank we have it down but is a lil worried about taken the lines off. Do we take it off from the tank?

Chevyblazerlady
Remove the fuel lines from the sending unit on top of the tank. You may need a quick disconnect tool that can be picked up at any parts store. As whats draining the battery, when it comes to electrical, that can get pretty tedious. Does it have any aftermarket parts that where hooked up to a constant power?

Madmike1735
Ok well we got the gas tank down and we tried to jump the fuel pump but it didnt do anything. So I guess we are going to have to get a new one: ( Theres nothing on there thats after market but a radio. But the radio dont work.

Chevyblazerlady
Check the radio fuse. If its good, then its possible your wiring has been shorted out, and that could be causing your draw.

Madmike1735
Ok thanks so much for your help. We will be putting a new fuel pump in by the end of this week hopefully! Them things are not cheap $300. Now we just hope nothing else is wrong with it. But if there is ill be back on here to ask ya! So stay in touch! Thanks so much again!

Chevyblazerlady
Your welcome. Good luck with everything!

Madmike1735
Page 1 of 2