CHEVROLET ASTRO GAS PROBLEM

1997 Chevrolet Astro • 189,000 miles

I have a big white cloud coming out of my exhaust and it smells of gas what is wrong? Also the service engine light is flashing.I am going through gas very fast.
When decelerating on the expressway it backfires some. At a stop light the engine runs rough and wants to stall.
Tomcoyne1

Hey, check for applicable trouble codes. To check codes, yourself, at the least you need an obd2 code reader. Some of the national brand autostores used to check codes for free. How long since over-all tune-up?

Are you losing coolant or engine oil? Look and smell of crankcase oil dip stick. Does it look ok, does it smell like gas?
Use a gage and check for proper fuel pressure. Also, see if pressure will hold for a bit with everything off.

I went to Auto Zone and they came back with two codes: PO300, PO171.

Tomcoyne1
P0300 is misfire, the system can't tell which cylinder. P0171 is bank one too lean. If you haven't already, I'd give it a tune-up. Change the 02 sensors.

Thank you

Tomcoyne1
Let us know if you find the problem.

This is what I did. I noticed that my coolant was a little low. I went to Oreilly's and bought some coolant and I got some wire dry and sprayed some of the wires. I kept thinking it might be the MAF sensor. I tapped it to see if there was a change. Nothing happened.I unplugged the sensor and the was a slight change, but nothing noticably. I bought some injector cleaner.I stopped and put a couple gallons of gas in, but not yet the injector cleaner.I put midgrade gas in. The check engine light was on when I started but then went off. It stayed off. I got to the gas station in my town and filled up the tank.I put the injector cleaner in. I bought some 30mil rubber tape and taped some wires that I had sprayed earlier. The light has stayed off and it runs normal again.I think it was something to due to moisture, because I had some problems starting the van after rain. Thank you

Tomcoyne1
Glad you got it going your way.